- 150 g red lentils
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 150 ml water
- 2 medium onions (diced into small cubes)
- garlic glove (diced into small cubes)
- 3 large tomatoes or a can of tomatoes
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
Ingredients for masala paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 coriander seeds
- 8 g fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Make the masala paste by heating cumin- and coriander seeds in a frying pan for 30 seconds.
- Place them in a pestle and crush until fine.
- Add the grated ginger, salt, chili flakes, cayenne pepper and tomato paste and create a smooth paste inside the pestle.
- Heat a medium pot, add some oil and the mustard seeds.
- Wait until mustard seeds start to pop inside the pot until adding onions and curry leaves.
- Stir everything for 4 minutes, then add garlic and masala paste.
- Fry everything for another 2 minutes until adding tomato cubes.
- Tomato cubes should cook until soft until adding water and coconut milk.
- Lower the heat and cook lentils for 15-20 minutes. Stir everything from time to time so that it does not burn.
- Add some more water or coconut milk when needed.