For the dough
500 g flour type 480
100 g sugar
250 ml milk
40 g butter
1 pack of dried yeast
1 pack vanilla sugar
1 pack of backing powder
1 organic lemon (zest)
For the spread
4 tbsp milk
2 tbsp crunchy sugar crystals
1. In a bowl, mix sugar, flour, dried yeast, backing powder lemon zest and vanille sugar.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter and milk in a pot on lowest heat until butter has dissolved.
3. Add to the bowl when milk has reached lukewarm temperature.
4. Mix everything very well (around 3-5 minutes in a mixer).
5. Cover with a cloth and let it rest for 2-3 hours.
6. For braiding the dough, please take a look at YouTube videos. Just enter “braid dough buns” and it will show simple instructions.
7. I made two buns out of the recipe. Make sure each dough roll weighs around 100 g (400g for each bun)
8. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
9. After braiding, mix the ingredients for the spread (except for the crunchy sugar crystals) and use a cooking brush to spread it over your buns.
10. Finally top buns with sugar crystals.
11. Bake for around 25 minutes and once more, spread some of the butter, egg, milk mixture over the buns to let them shine.